There is nothing I love more than voluminous, healthy-looking waves. I have naturally pin-straight hair and so naturally I love it wavy! I like to switch up my style quite a bit. At this mid-way length, however, (I chopped my hair to my chin a year ago and am growing it out) I find that the style is much more flattering with some sort of texture rather than straight.
I get tons of questions on which products I use and how I style so I’m going to break down how I get shiny, voluminous loose waves like pictured about. Note: this is only one way I style my hair and I use different tools and products for different looks!
How I Create Voluminous Waves
- I love first and second day style. Being that my hair is so straight, it holds style best when it’s very clean without any buildup. I also have much more volume the first few days. So, when I’m planning big loopy curls or waves I start by shampooing and conditioning with Briogeo’s Don’t Despair line. I also swear by a clarifying shampoo once a week to make sure my roots are clear of build-up and not being weighed down.
- After washing, the only leave in-product I use is a heat-protectant. Any more than that weighs my hair down and hinders the curls. This is my favorite light but effective heat protectant:
- Next, I let me hair air dry about half way (if you’re in a hurry this isn’t necessary) then I dry with this magical little tool on the COOL setting. It gives my hair so much volume and locks in the shine. I make sure to dry with an upward motion at the crown for extra oomph. If you like a more traditional blow-out you can achieve that with this tool alone.
- Once dry, I use a a 1 1/4 inch curling iron to curl the hair making sure not to make it look too uniform to preserve that un-done vibe. I generally divide into just a top and bottom section. When styling the top I again use an upward pulling motion for more volume. I like both a clamp or clamp-less curling wand. It’s your preference. This t3 micro trio is eligible for 25% off right now with code AMY25!
- Finally, I use a flexible hold hairspray like this one! A little tip: I usually style and wear my hair parted down the middle, then I flip to the side part later. This gives mega volume up top because your hair has been “trained” to part middle. You can see the difference in volume in the two photos above.
To preserve the style, I sleep with my hair in a high, loose twisted bun. To revive I use either my favorite dry shampoo or dry texturizing spray below. Then, I curl some of the top pieces only if necessary.
I also have to mention that I attribute a lot of the increased thickness and shine to healthier, fuller hair from my hair supplement. I am going on month 4 of taking it and have noticed a huge difference in hair growth, thickness and shine. I’ve also had comments from my mother-in-law, friends and my husband noticing the same! They are offering promo code MOMS2020 for $20 off your first month! You can click here. ENDS MAY 10.
**Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may earn a small commission when you purchase via these links at no additional cost to you (thank you! It helps me keep things up and running)… As always I ONLY recommend products, goods and services that I stand behind and personally love and use.
Leave a Comment