While Vitamin C is one of the most well-respected and widely used antioxidants, I understand that not everyone can tolerate it! So for this week’s Top 5, I’m covering some of my [other] favorite antioxidants!
In general, the use of a potent antioxidant is part of any good skin care regimen. Along with SPF and retinoids, most dermatologists agree that they are essential to lifelong healthy skin. Antioxidants (even those naturally-occurring in our skin) help to protect us from free radicals and are one of our best ways of protecting against the signs of aging and UV damage. When free radicals are free to wreak havoc in our bodies and on our skin, something called oxidative stress occurs leading to wrinkles and other signs of premature aging and has also been linked to skin cancer.
So, here are 5 of my favorite antioxidants aside from Vitamin C!
- Paorr Oil 100% Argan Oil- A combo antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient, I LOVE using argan oil in the regimen of dry, sensitive types. It’s calming for rosacea types, can help decrease inflammatory acne, and it also helps to regulate oil production. My favorite is one that we carry at my office (sold only by Derms) and is part of their 30% off sale! You can call them to order at 305-532-5552.
- Clarity Rx Take Care Daily– This serum contains red tea extract as its antioxidant as well as hyaluronic acid for that added plumping feeling.
- SkinCeuticals Resveratrol B E– Resveratol, found in red wine and berries, is anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant helping the skin fight free radicals and their aging effects. Formulated with Vitamin E (another great antioxidant), I would recommend this serum for dry types. You can use code AMY25 for 25% off this product here!
- SkinMedica TNS Eye Repair– Vitamin E, as mentioned above, is another fantastic antioxidant that also increases the effectiveness and stability of other antioxidants. It helps to hydrate the top layer of the skin and improves its ability to hold onto water. This eye cream containing Vitamin E is favorite of mine!
- Replenix Antioxidant Soothing Cleanser: Rich in green tea polyphenols, this cleanser is a great way to get in some antioxidants before even applying a serum. Green Tea polyphenols are anti-inflammatory and therefore a great choice for sensitive skin types. Buyer beware though as many companies take advantage of the public’s awareness of green tea as a potent antioxidant and include it in their products. However, formulation and level of polyphenols are crucial when determining the efficacy of a product containing GT!
As always If you have any questions leave them below or DM on instagram!