As a Derm PA you can imagine I’m pretty happy that the emphasis is almost completely on “fake baking” these days. Baking in the sun, or worse in a tanning bed, wreaks havoc on our skin. I have been an avid self tanner for years now. I’m a firm believer that a good glow makes you look brighter and even a little leaner! I have olive undertones so I tend to look a little green without a little self tan.
My Self Tanning Tips and Favorite Products
It can be a little tricky to master. So, I’m sharing my favorite self tanning products as well as some tips and tricks to master a flawless tan.
For an everyday glow I love to use a gradual product like this one. After showering and drying off, I’ll apply this lotion like my regular moisturizer everywhere. I will do this daily until I am happy with the color and use as needed for upkeep.
If I’m going to an event, on vacation, or just want a more intense tan I use this express sculpting mousse. After following the steps below, I apply the mousse to this tanning glove. This glove also doubles as an exfoliator which is super helpful. Again, I will apply this 2 or 3 days in a row depending on how dark I want to be! I have been super impressed with the streak-free tan this gives me! It’s awesome to be able to do this at home rather than paying for multiple expensive spray tans.
For the face I use this sunless tanning oil. After my regular evening skin care routine, before my moisturizer I apply this oil. It has lots of skinthusiast approved ingredients like argan oil, aloe, glycerin and hyaluronic acid. I put it on at night and wash it off in the morning because there is oil of Bergamot which for some people can cause a rash when used in the sun.
Now that you know all the products I use, let me share with you my tips for a beautiful, streak-free tan!
- Apply on clean, exfoliated skin. In the shower I exfoliate my skin with a gentle scrub paying special attention to my elbows, knees, and any rough areas. I make sure to cleanse thoroughly so my skin is free from any products including moisturizers and sunscreen.
- Allow the skin to dry fully and wait a few minutes after showering.
- Apply a very thin layer of moisturizer on the elbows, knees, in-between the fingers and toes. Leave the rest of the body clean and dry.
- Apply the tanning products as directed. I love using a mitt because it helps the product to glide on much smoother making it less likely to streak.
- Wipe areas like eyebrows, nails and cuticles immediately after application so the product does not sequester.
- Make sure to moisturize the days following the tan application to keep the skin hydrated and allow for a longer lasting tan!
Now you have all you need to get the glowiest tan in town!
**Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may earn a small commission when you purchase via these links at no additional cost to you (thank you! It helps me keep things up and running)… As always I ONLY recommend products, goods and services that I stand behind and personally love and use. **Thank you to Coola for providing these products so that I could develop the perfect self-tanning routine. This post is not otherwise sponsored.