If I could only use one product for the rest of my life, literally only one, it would be sunscreen. Even though it’s probably the least glamorous product in my regimen, it is one of (if not THE) most effective product you will put on your face in terms of anti-aging. Through years of research we’ve learned that the giant ball of light in the sky is pretty much the source of most of our external aging. If you look at identical twins, one who wears sunscreen everyday and one who does not, in 15-20+ years the difference is huge! Wearing an effective daily sunscreen is the BEST thing you can do for yourself now to prevent aging in the future.
Also, let’s just get this out of the way now… sunscreen in your moisturizer, foundation or powder DOES NOT COUNT. The amount of product you would have to use on your face to get the SPF number it says on the bottle is wayyyy more than you would ever want to use. For instance if your foundation says “with SPF 30” you would have to use approximately 7x more product to get the actual SPF 30 than just using a facial sunscreen (for powder that number is significantly higher). Ok now that we’ve covered that, let’s get to the fun stuff.
Just like any product, your skin type must be taken into consideration when choosing a sunscreen. So I’m breaking down my favorite facial sunscreens and which skin types they are best for! So here they are, in no particular order.
1. Elta MD UV Physical: This is a lightly tinted sunscreen with SPF 41. This product is great for oily types because it has a bit of a matte finish. It also contains some beneficial antioxidants to help mitigate free-radicals.
Skin tip: You’ll notice that most of the products on this list are tinted. I almost exclusively wear tinted facial sunscreens because they contain iron oxides which help protect our skin from the blue light from our devices. We know now that this light also contributes to photoaging like wrinkles and brown spots.
2. Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Face Shield SPF 50: Another lightly tinted option, this is one of my favorites. It’s a great option for those who like a lighter consistency, especially oily types! Their bronze version is my tinted sunscreen of choice for darker skin tones. You can use code AMY25!
2. PCA Sheer Tint: This tinted SPF 45 is great for dry types because it’s very moisturizing. It goes on super smooth and the tint is VERY sheer which I love. I like that this one is great for almost all skin tones without leaving a white cast. It contains the antioxidant ubiquinone, and acts as a nice primer under foundation or as a stand alone.
3. Elta MD Elements: This SPF 44 is a new favorite of mine. It’s best for dry types and leaves a really nice dewy finish. If you don’t like to appear shiny you probably won’t like this one, but I’m all about the glow. It contains hyaluronic acid and has a bit more coverage than some of the other tinted sunscreens. I feel perfectly comfortable wearing this as my makeup.
4. Revision Skincare Intellishade TruPhysical: An SPF 45, this product is great for someone who likes more coverage. It feels nice on the skin and in my opinion provides more coverage than any of the other tinted sunscreens on this list. If you’re a makeup wearer you’ll probably like this one. I recommend this one for dry types.
5. Coola Rosilliance Organic BB+ Cream SPF 30: I add this on top of my SPF on days I want a little more coverage. It glides on so nice and is super light and almost water-y feeling; not heavy at all. It also provides a nice glow and comes in 3 shades. Whenever I recommend this to a follower I tend to get amazing feedback in my DMs!
Skin tip: I wear almost exclusively physical or mineral sunscreen. Chemical sunscreens contain oxybenzone and octinoxate which have been preliminarily linked to harming oceanic wildlife. These chemicals can also be absorbed into the skin and have the potential to disrupt hormones in humans. More research is needed in both of these areas but I opt to stay away from them when I can. Physical sunscreens are also ideal for those with skin conditions such as melasma, rosacea and other heat-sensitive conditions.
I believe that if you have a sunscreen you love you’ll be more likely to slather it on everyday. Trust me, for me to pick ONE product for the rest of my life, you know if must be pretty darn great for your skin.
For more about my favorite sunscreens including which ones I use for body and lip protection, check out my IGTV here!
**Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means that I may earn a small commission when you purchase via these links at no additional cost to you (thank you! It helps me keep things up and running)… As always I ONLY recommend products, goods and services that I stand behind and personally love and use.